Located in the heart of Coastal Virginia, Chesapeake is a unique mix of urban and rural environments. With plenty of beautiful attractions, accommodations, shopping and dining options, excellent quality of life, and other activities, Chesapeake is a perfect choice for meeting and leisure. Did you know that Bloomberg Businessweek (2011) ranked Chesapeake at 21st position as the best city in America? Did you know that Chesapeake is among the six best places to live in the US by Money Magazine? Here are more such interesting facts about Chesapeake.
Chesapeake Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Chesapeake is situated in Virginia, United States.
- It is the 3rd most populous city in Virginia.
- In terms of land area, it is the second largest city in Virginia.
- It is the eleventh largest city in the United States by land area. It comprises of over 353 sq. miles of land area.
- The ethnic composition of Chesapeake includes White-62.6%, Black or African American- 29.8%, Native American-0.4%, Asian- 2.9%, Pacific Islander-0.1%, other races- 1.2%, two or more races- 3.0%, and Latinos or Hispanics of any race- 4.4%.
- It has more miles of deepwater canals as compared to any other city in the US.
Chesapeake History Fast Facts
- In 1620, the early settlers arrived in the area.
- In 1790s, the Dismal Swamp Canal was built, through which Chesapeake came into picture as a commerce center.
- The City of Chesapeake was founded in 1963 when the City of South Norfolk and Norfolk County were consolidated.
Chesapeake Economy and Government Fast Facts
- Chesapeake follows a Council-Manager type of government
- Chesapeake top Employers are- Chesapeake City Public School, City of Chesapeake, Chesapeake Regional Medical Center, LTD Hospitality Group, Sentara Healthcare and QVC.
Chesapeake Important and Interesting Fast Facts
- According to Bloomberg Businesweek (2011), Chesapeake is ranked the 21st best city in the US.
- According to Money Magazine (2010), Chesapeake is listed among the America’s top 100 best places to live.
- Chesapeake is ranked among the five safest cities of its size in the America by FBI.
- “The Virginian-Pilot” is the daily newspaper of Chesapeake.
- The city is the hometown of Bubba Blackhawk Walters, 4 x World Kickboxing Champion.
- Jay Pharoah, the Saturday Night Live performer is from Chesapeake.